Monday, January 12, 2009

Why doctors are perfect sales persons

I have been organizing a sales (we called it customer orientation) training for the whole management of my company this year. Our coach always referred to doctors as role models to do effective sales. And today I really experienced why: I went to the tropical institute at the 'insel' hospital in Bern to get the one and only vaccination which my good friend Dejan could not do himself, because the tropical institute has the exclusivity on it: yellow fever. Dejan is an excellent and pragmatic doctor and already did the vaccinations for ticks as well as hepatitis A&B and I still had protection for poliomyelitis, diphtheria and tetanus. 

I expected to get it within 10 minutes, but after 30 minutes talking (and before the usual 20 minutes waiting time) the doctor has explained me all possible lethal illnesses in the countries I'm traveling to, that I agreed to get 7 additional vaccinations (!!!) and even ran out of time to have the risks of malaria explained. Eventually I was there for 1.5 hours and still had to book an additional appointment (to have the malaria risk explained and to do the second rage vaccination). 

P.S.: For people who are interested in the additional vaccinations: Yellow fever, rage, poliomyelitis refresher, typhus as well as measles, mumps and rubella (because I'm not 100% sure whether I had it as child). On top of it I will receive the malaria prevention next week. Medically spoken I'm ready for any trip now! 

1 comment:

  1. I am totally speechless to hear all those shots you have gotten .. I think I will need my Hepatitis A shot before I go to China .. :) I hate getting shots , I am afraid of needles .. :'( Tanya

    ReplyDelete